Now that the holidays are over, it is time to help rid the body of the damage that has been done! Whether your weakness was chocolate, cakes, wine or eggnog, your body is most likely in need of a cleanse.
Here are some easy things you can do to help your body feel detoxified:
- Drink lots of water: water is the most efficient way of helping the body cleanse out toxins. During the cold winter months, you may not enjoy cold water so drinking hot water with lemon is a nice alternative. Lemon water is also very detoxifying for the liver.
- Avoid refined sugars: give your body a break for a little while from any refined sugars or simple carbohydrates. So no sweets or pastries, pastas or white bread. Try to stick to whole grains, brown rice, and brown rice pasta. Your body will crave the sugar for the first few days but then the cravings will subside and your digestive system will thank you.
- Avoid alcohol: let your liver rest! Alcohol will damage the liver but it does regenerate over time.
- Eat your greens: spinach, kale, bok choy, swiss chard, rapini, etc are very nourishing for your liver. They detoxify your liver and help energize your system.
- Get your rest: the body heals at rest. Getting 8 hours of rest every night helps to rebalance your system and helps boost the immune system.
- Maintain your supplement routine: you may have taken a break over the holidays but that does not mean your supplements no longer help. It is never too late to re-start your supplement routine!