FOLLICULAR PHASE (DAY 1-14)
• During this phase estrogen levels are more dominant so you want to eat foods that are helpful at metabolizing estrogen more efficiently
• It is also best to avoid alcohol during this phase to prevent cervical mucus from thickening too much
• You want to eat warming foods rich in iron, vitamin C and zinc to replenish these minerals lost during menses
• Some foods to incorporate: dark leafy greens, broccoli, beans (white, kidney or lima), flaxseeds
• Around ovulation the body needs nutrients that help release the egg and support implantation. Foods containing nutrients such as B vitamins, zinc, and vitamin C help promote cell division and increase progesterone levels.
• Essential fatty acids (EFA’s) should also be consumed through foods (or supplementation) to help promote blood flow to the uterus and support egg release.
• Some foods to incorporate are fish, dark leafy greens, whole grains, eggs, lean meats, and increased amounts of water. Increased amounts of water help thin cervical mucus thereby helping sperm to reach the egg.
LUTEAL PHASE (DAY 15- DAY 1)
• During this phase we want to eat foods that help detoxify the excess estrogen from the follicular phase with high fiber foods such as cabbage, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts, pumpkin seeds
• Decrease all inflammatory foods such as alcohol, red meat, dairy, and added salt
• Encourage the support of cellular growth so eat foods high in beta carotene and bromelain such as pineapple, warming foods like vegetable soups and cooked leafy greens, carrots, cantaloupe, sweet potato; decrease cold foods which are not favorable for cell growth