Naturopathic medicine is a distinct system of primary care that addresses the root cause of illness or disease and promotes health and healing using natural therapies. Treatment modalities include: Clinical nutrition, Botanical (herbal) medicine, Homeopathic medicine, Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine and Lifestyle counseling.
The focus of Naturopathic Medicine is on the prevention of disease, patient education, and the stimulation of the body’s innate natural ability to heal. It is a holistic, mind – body approach. The patient is seen as a sum of all their individual parts. The focus is on the cause of disease. As a patient you will be educated on how to live a healthier lifestyle, manage stress and emotions and learn to live up to your full potential and vitality!
Our focus is based on:
- Acute symptoms are often the body’s way of expressing the healing process. Supporting this process is an integral part of strengthening overall health.
- Chronic health concerns often affect the physical, mental and emotional aspects of a person.
- Addressing the whole person and identifying the root cause of disease provides hope, support, and effective treatment options.
- Working in conjunction with other medical doctors or health care providers to ensure the best treatment choices.
- Prevention and education on healthy lifestyle habits to maintain ongoing optimum health.
Naturopathic Doctors have the following training:
- Minimum of 3 years premedical studies at university, followed by a 4 year full-time study at an accredited naturopathic college.
- Two sets of licensing board exams in all regulated provinces.
- Ongoing continuing educational courses
Assessment and Diagnosis
The following detailed assessment and diagnosis process is used:
- All naturopathic visits start with a detailed questionnaire and intake. Your Naturopathic Doctor will review all aspects of your health, lifestyle and past medical history to ensure that they have a complete understanding of the root causes of your health concerns.
- A standard medical physical exam, plus additional naturopathic diagnostic observations and assessments are used on an ongoing basis.
- Specialized testing to identify food intolerances, heavy metal levels and other specific inquires are available, as needed.
- Analysis of blood, urine, saliva, and hair analysis as well as the review of laboratory tests and other medical procedures are utilized as required.