Low Level Laser Therapy & Cosmetic acupuncture
Low level laser therapy (LLLT) or red light therapy has been widely used for anti-aging treatments and pain management for over 3 decades now. This therapy can be used for a variety of benefits that require healing, reduction in inflammation, and restoring of vital function.
The health benefits of red light therapy are driven from 3 different mechanisms:
(1) increase mitochondrial function
(2) improve blood circulation
(3) decrease oxidative stress
Red light therapy boosts our energy production at a cellular level, specifically in the mitochondria—the ‘powerhouse’ of the cell. Natural red and near infrared light from red light therapy enhances the cellular respiration process that creates adenosine triphosphate (ATP) energy, often called “the energy currency of life”. Our bodies are constantly creating ATP to fuel everything we do. The more ATP our cells can produce, the better our bodies can heal, feel, and perform.
Blood circulation is a vital function. It delivers essential nutrients and oxygen to our brain and body. Red light therapy improves blood flow by stimulating the cellular production of Nitric Oxide (NO), which aids blood circulation and thereby enables our cells to take in oxygen and nutrients more easily. As a result, one might experience improved skin health, wound healing, and reduced muscle soreness and inflammation.
Oxidative stress is an imbalance between free radicals and antioxidants in our body. Free radicals are harmful molecules, which are naturally produced through metabolic activities (like digestion and exercising). Antioxidants play a central role in offsetting free radicals and reducing oxidative stress. Uncontrolled levels of oxidative stress can accelerate aging and lead to cell injury. Red light therapy upregulates the production of antioxidant enzymes – reducing oxidative stress and preventing further damage to cells.
Benefits Of Use During Your Cosmetic Acupuncture Treatment
The addition of red light therapy during your treatment will be the short term use to provide the following benefits*:
- Improve skin health and appearance
- Promote collagen production
- Facial Acne
- Reduce scarring
- Reduce inflammation
- Speed tissue healing
- LLLT (Low Level Laser Therapy) is recommended for 30 minutes 1-3 times a week for 1-3 months.
*Note: Treatment schedules are decided upon based on your individual assessment plan with Dr. Bergmann.
- Avci, Pinar et al. “Low-level laser (light) therapy (LLLT) in skin: stimulating, healing, restoring.” Seminars in cutaneous medicine and surgery vol. 32,1 (2013): 41-52.
- Avci, Pinar et al. “Low-level laser (light) therapy (LLLT) for treatment of hair loss.” Lasers in surgery and medicine vol. 46,2 (2014): 144-51. doi:10.1002/lsm.22170
- Sawhney, Mossum K., and Michael R. Hamblin. “Low-Level Light Therapy (LLLT) for Cosmetics and Dermatology.” Mechanisms for Low-Light Therapy IX, 2014, doi:10.1117/12.2041330.
- Ihsan, F. R. M. (2005). Low-level laser therapy accelerates collateral circulation and enhances microcirculation. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, 23(3): 289-294.
- Maegawa, Y., …, & Nishi, M. (2000). Effects of near-infrared low-level laser irradiation on micocirculation. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 27:427-437.